Graduate Bulletin

Residency Rules

Graduate Bulletin



An applicant is initially classified as a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes at the time of application with the Office of Admissions. The classification, which is certified by the registrar, is based upon information furnished by the student and from other relevant sources. In compliance with the Residency Policy passed by the Board of Regents on February 1996 and amended in May 1997, June 2004, and December 2012, students in non-resident status are required to pay non-resident tuition.

The burden of proof is upon the student making a claim of resident status. The admission of students who knowingly provide false information for the purpose of achieving resident status shall be subject to cancellation and adjusted billing.


The considerations used in determining residency status are as follows:

  1. Establishment of a domicile on Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, or in one of the Freely Associated States (the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, or Palau) as mandated by 17GC16125 for the 12-month period prior to the beginning of the term for which residency is claimed

  2. Evidence of residency for a period of 12 months or more prior to the beginning of the term for which residency is claimed. Evidence of residency will be shown by a student providing documentation from one of the following1 :

    • Permanent employment on Guam (verification of employment)

    • Payment of income taxes of Guam (by student, or by parent/guardian if the student is a dependent)

    • Ownership or rental of living quarters on Guam

    • Use of a Guam permanent address on ALL records (educational, employment, military, financial)

    • Being a registered voter in Guam

    • Maintaining a Guam driver’s license or vehicle registration. If it is necessary to change your license or registration while temporarily residing in another location, the license MUST be changed back to Guam within 10 days of the date of return to Guam, and the vehicle registration must be changed within 20 days of the date of return.

    • Certification of residency from your village mayor.

  3. Adjustment to permanent resident status. Students who have filed for an Adjustment to Permanent Resident Status will be eligible for resident rate ONLY if they have resided on Guam for 12 consecutive months prior to applying to the University and have submitted the following supporting documents:

    • Notice of Action for the Adjustment to Permanent Resident Status from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Service. A Notice of Action denying the student’s application for an Adjustment to Permanent Resident Status will render the student ineligible for resident tuition rate.

    • Proof of residency on Guam for the 12 months prior to applying to the University

1Exemptions to the 12-Month Residency Requirement



Resident classification may apply if the applicant is one of the following:

  • A graduate of a Guam high school
    You may be entitled to an exemption from non-resident tuition if you have not resided on Guam for the preceding 12 months but previously attended high school in Guam for three or more years AND graduated from a Guam high school. Nonimmigrant aliens are not eligible for this exemption.
  • A former elementary or middle school student on Guam
    You may be entitled to an exemption from nonresident tuition if you have not resided on Guam for the preceding 12 months but previously attended both elementary AND middle school on Guam. Nonimmigrant aliens are not eligible for this exemption.
  • Active duty military
    U.S. military personnel and their authorized dependents (as defined by the Armed Services) are authorized resident tuition during the period such personnel are stationed in Guam on active duty. (Note: This exception does not apply to employees of other U.S. federal government departments, bureaus, or agencies or their dependents who are assigned or stationed to Guam.)
  • A veteran eligible under the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act

    Students who are eligible for and utilize their benefits under the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2010, including any family members to which the benefit can be legally transferred, are considered resident students for purposes of calculating tuition payment.

  • A legal resident of Guam
    You may be entitled to an exemption from non-resident tuition if you are able to demonstrate to the registrar that Guam is your legal place of residency and you intend to make Guam your permanent place of residency.
  • A permanent resident
    You may be entitled to an exemption from nonresident tuition if you are able to demonstrate that you permanently reside in Guam, but have been absent for only educational, training, or military reasons.



Nonimmigrant aliens, e.g. B, F, H, and E visa holders, are classified as non-residents and are not qualified for resident tuition rates or exemptions.



If you are classified as a non-resident and wish to be considered for resident reclassification, complete the “Petition for Residency Student Classification” before the semester or term you wish to enroll. Approved changes of status will become effective for the term or semester following the approval; they are not retroactive and non-refundable.



Anyone age 55 years or older is entitled to free tuition during the regular semester at the University of Guam, provided that he/she be a resident of Guam for no less than five years preceding enrollment (Public Law No. 24-151) and provided that he or she has been admitted to the University. Admissions into a course shall be on a space-available basis or, if a course is full, by permission of the instructor(s). Senior citizens may apply for admission as a degree-seeking student or as a non-degree student. Registration is scheduled after the Schedule Adjustment (Add/Drop) Period of any regular (fanuchånan or fañomnåkan) semester. Payment of fees for each semester must be paid by the assigned payment deadline. However, a senior citizen may enroll during any registration period provided he/she registers on the assigned registration for her/his class level and provided he/she pays the required tuition and fees.

NOTE: Because all intersession and summer classes are offered on a self-sustaining basis, there will be no senior citizen tuition waiver for tinalo’ (Dec.–Jan.) and finakpo’ (June–Aug.) classes or courses offered outside the regular semester. There are no waivers for courses or programs offered through the Professional & International Programs office. For assistance, contact the assigned coordinator at the Records Office. All admissions and enrollment requirements apply.



All veterans enrolling at the University of Guam for the first time must report to the Financial Aid Office located at the Calvo Field House. Bring the following supporting documents: DD214, NOBE, Kicker, marriage certificates, and birth certificates for each dependent child (whichever is applicable). Veterans with no prior training under the GI Bill or former VA students who have taken an educational break for more than 45 days are urged to see the VA coordinator at least two months before enrolling.

Veterans and Montgomery G.I. Bill
All branches of the military and the National Guard provide financial assistance to their personnel — whether active or reserve status —and their dependents. The financial assistance covers a portion of the tuition, fees, books, and supplies (up to $1,000 per academic year based on enrollment status and eligibility percentage). Not all branches nor services provide the same benefits. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information or to file an application.

Veterans Educational Assistance Act (Board of Regents Resolution No. 12-16)
The University of Guam may grant resident status for tuition purposes to certain students eligible for education benefits under the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2010 (Pl 111-377).

Credits for Active-Duty Military Personnel
All active duty military personnel as well as veterans with more than one year of service are encouraged to go to the Office of Admissions & Records for information concerning credit granted for military service. The University of Guam is a member of Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC and SOC-NAV), which ensures transferability of selected credits among member institutions.

Mandatory Training or Military Activation During Wartime
The University offers a refund of tuition and fees and official withdrawal from classes for active duty military students who are asked to serve their country by deployment during wartime or for mandatory military training while enrolled in a given semester. As an alternative to refunds, students may opt for credit against future enrollment or request an incomplete grade (“I”) from their respective instructors (subject to instructor approval). Students will be required to provide to the Registrar’s Office and the Business Office written proof of active military status and deployment and indicate whether a refund or credit is preferred.

Course Protection Guarantee/Veterans Benefits & Transition Act of 2018
(Board of Regents Resolution No. 19-33)

Effective Fanuchånan 2019, the University of Guam will allow veterans under Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 and dependents under Chapter 33TOE, upon meeting matriculation requirements, to remain registered in their courses without being dropped due to unpaid tuition and fees. In order to receive this benefit, students must request to use their benefits by filling out the Certification Request Form and provide a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility or approval Form 28-1905 for Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation students. The certification forms are available at the Financial Aid Office in the University of Guam Calvo Field House.

It will be the student’s responsibility to pay the school any remaining balance should the student register in courses that are not on his or her approved education plan or if the student is not entitled to 100% of his or her GI Bill benefits. Students will also have the option to have any outstanding balance deducted from their Financial Aid, if available.